Office Meeting Scheduler App: UX Case Study
Main goal was to design an app which helps employees in a company schedule meetings and book rooms on the basis of the required facilities for the meeting.
The main design principles in mind during the entire process were that the app should be user friendly and navigation should be intuitive. Users shouldn’t be burdened with too much information all at once and any task shouldn’t take a lot of effort to perform.
Discover → Define → Ideate → Design
Discover: Understand the problem, perform research by analysing similar and/or competitive apps and come up with a strategy.
Define: Clearly define the user goals, pain points, etc which were a result of the research
Ideate: Create user flows, user journey maps.
Design: Come up with wireframes for the app which include all the features and help the user to accomplish all their goals, once satisfied with the wireframe create Visual Design and prototype to get the final result.
Similar meeting scheduler apps present in the market are:
- Google Calendar/Meet
- Microsoft Teams
These apps are mainly used to host meetings virtually and are not company specific. To some extent they do perform some of the functions which i’ll be including in this app but they don’t have some others.
User should be able to:
- Create a new meeting
- Choose room/venue on the basis of their requirements
- See meetings hosted by him/her
- See pending RSVPS and reply accordingly
- See meeting details
- Reschedule/ Cancel/ Edit a meeting as a host
- Send a notification to the meeting host if he/she is running late
User Pain Points
- Difficulty in finding rooms available for time slot consisting of all facilities required
- Difficulty in navigation for new employees, it might be difficult to find venue
- Not able to convey message to the host if and when running late
- Might invite wrong person if only name is given and both names are similar or user is not familiar with the guest’s name but only his/her face
- Different people have different schedule therefore maybe all guests might not be available at the time scheduled by host
- Easily schedule meetings without hassle
- Meeting time suggested according to everyone’s schedule to ensure maximum participation
- Rooms suggested according to the amenities required and also nearest to majority of the guests
- Updates regarding any faulty equipment, etc in a meeting scheduled by user are displayed
Hypothesis and requirements
- All building blueprints and maps are available in the app so the employees can be navigated to the destination.
- The entire employee database is present in the app along with their meeting schedules etc so that time can be suggested accordingly.
- All details of the rooms including the facilities and equipment of that room are present in the app’s database.
Wireframes for the entire User Journey
Visual Design for ‘Create New Meeting’ Flow
This app can be scaled up and a lot of new features can be added specially the ones which can be useful for work from home employees. Keeping in mind the COVID situation, it will be very helpful to companies and its employees. Feature which allows employees to virtually attend the meeting by providing them a link to join via video conferencing in a case if the employee can’t be present physically due to any reason. This feature is especially very useful for people who work from home/are sick and it’s important to attend meetings etc.